Have you ever wondered why people get sick in the winter? … So many people still have this huge misconception that cold temperatures is what makes you sick… This is blatantly false!
The truth is, it’s all about the strength of the sun rays, and how much vitamin D your body produces due to the UV rays on your skin!
The reason so many people get sick more in the winter is mostly due to a drastic reduction in their body’s production of vitamin D, which is directly responsible for how strong their immune system is. The sun rays are too weak in the winter generally, and therefore, Vitamin D levels in the body drop significantly, which reduces immunity. Most people don’t realize how important sunlight and Vitamin D levels really are towards many functions inside their body, including immune system and hormone production and balance.
So how can you bolster your immune system so that your body can fight off sickness before it gets a hold of you? – be proactive:
#1: Focus on Vitamin D (but NOT in pill form or “fortified” foods)
- You need to get vitamin D naturally and avoid artificial forms
- The sun is the best source (20 minutes 2-3 times week is enough) but we don’t always have the luxury for this or it’s too cold outside
- The best food sources are egg yolks, fatty fish, organ meats, and some mushrooms (some portobella mushrooms and maitake mushroom are fairly good sources of vitamin D)
- Cod liver oil taken daily in the deepest winter months can also do wonders
- Note: Vitamin D in milk that is “fortified” is not a good source
#2: Garlic to strengthen your immune system!
- Garlic is one of the most potent of all superfoods that has been used for thousand of years for the treatment of sickness
- Fresh garlic is always the best
- Load up on garlic when you feel a possible cold or sickness coming your way
- Note: Most minced garlic found in groceries have been processed, stripping off all or most of its valuable nutritional content
#3: Kombucha tea strengthens immune system
- Kombucha tea contains billions of friendly gut organisms (probiotics) that help strengthen your immune system by bolstering your levels of good organisms in your gut
- Remember that 70% of your immune system lies in the gut
#4: Green tea, Chamomile Tea and other teas
- They contain powerful antioxidants unique to each tea and aids in strengthening the immune system
#5: Loading up on antioxidants
- Antioxidants are very important for overall health
- Load up on antioxidant-rich fruits, berries, unsweetened cocoa and veggies
#6: Light exercise (yes – light, not hard)
- It’s never a good idea to do a super-high intensity workout when you on the verge of getting sick since the body needs all of it’s effort on trying to fight off the oncoming sickness
- Take it easy and perform light exercise instead
#7: Avoid ALL processed foods and sweetened soft drinks
- If you are serious about your health, you should be avoiding these anyway
- All of these force of your body to do extra work to deal with all this junk when it needs to fight off your sickness
Original Source: http://www.truthaboutabs.com/prevent-sickness-increase-immunity.html